Saturday, June 1, 2019

More on the old InterRegio cars...

Following on from the last exciting episode....

The Re 460 was tested, and somewhat unexpectedly, it runs smooth as. I'm impressed, and pleasantly surprised... Obviously it can't haul the whole expanded consist up the grades but I'm very pleased at how well it runs.

I painted over the '2000' logo on the front ends with my 'go-to' SBB red, which was picked up fairly randomly from a model shop in another city a year or so ago. Despite this, it's a perfect match for the Re 460 red straight out of the bottle.


It also seems that the 'chrome SBB directional arrows on the nose' are only appearing on refurbished Re 460s. This program is ongoing as I type this and very few locos had been completed when the Gotthard base tunnel opened, so that's a task I don't have to attempt for this one.

As for the 'old school' green-stripe passenger cars, after reviewing some pics, it was decided that the cream coloured sides on the Marklin models should be painted white. The green is also a little dark for my liking, but as often happens with photograph, in different light the real things seem close to the very dark green (almost black) on the models, so I can live with that. 


So I attempted to carefully paint white over the cream, starting with the roof stripe above the windows.


I wasn't crazy about how neatly this turned out, so for my second attempt, used strips cut from white decal paper over all bits except for the red-logo/SBB/CFF/FFS markings on the side.

Despite being very fiddly with tiny thin strips, with much cursing and rework it turned out ok - certainly good enough when viewed from the mandated distances in Z scale. In the blurry pic taken below you can see the comparison between the cream colour in the upper car (I've painted the end bits white and painted and decaled the roof stripe) and a fully decaled car below (taken before the large decal patches had set smooth). Close enough I reckon.


A final touch was the addition of the very thin black stripe along the white sides (something I had never noticed on the prototype until looking at these pics up close!), which was added with a .05 black pigment marker. This should have a gap with some lettering in it, but I just did the stripe and reckon that looks ok.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi. I have a couple of these red Re 460's (different serial numbers) but both have 'Re 4/4' written on the black stripe on the side (below the large 'SBB' white on red). Below where it says 'Re 4/4' it then has 460 and the serial number. It's unclear in the photographs but it looks like yours is similar. Is this an error by Marklin as I have not seen any prototype photograph with the '4/4' marking. They just have 'Re' and a blank space on all the ones I've seen.
Btw I'm really enjoying your blog. I'm in awe that you dare to cut up and repaint these expensive models but the results are well worth your efforts.
Regards, Andy

Kiwibonds said...

Thanks Andy.

That's some really good spotting. I thought these were designed as 4/4 v locos but always known as 460s because they were introduced after the computer numbering came in.

I went hunting through old photos online and it seems that in the early days they had Re 4/4 marked on the sides. This seems very rare in pictures so this must have been overpainted fairly early in their lives.

See here at the 4:00 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7E8mDEIyVw

Unknown said...

Thanks Darryl. Great sleuthing!
I guess if they swapped over in the 90's many of us were still using 35mm film cameras and there won't be as much material scanned and put online retrospectively. Regards Andy