Monday, June 6, 2016

Reality used to be a friend of mine

The Sunshine pump: Salespeople will often become so caught up in a deal that they become blinkered to reality when everyone else in the room can see that it just aint gonna happen.

I've had a few days away from the layout but have laid more track following my first gradient experiments a few weeks ago. I like how the flextrack has been looking and thought I'd try running a  train today to see how it looked with something actually on it.

Somewhat surprisingly, despite the electrical effort clearly being expended, I couldn't lift my train out of the yard. Sure I was using some temporary track down in the yard, and some different wagons, but I was perturbed by the sight of two locos slipping to a standstill with a relatively short train.

Fearing the wagons were heavier and less free running, I put on the 'control train' from the last experiment - the 12 hopper cars. Same result.

It's possible that I cheated a little with the grades on the gentle curve leading up to Wattinger - as its not much of a curve I might have allowed it to get a little steeper, but the measurements didn't seem any steeper than the curved sections. It's also possible that the Peco Streamline track isn't as sticky as the Rokuhan curves - maybe the railhead profile or metal is different.


Whatever the reason, there's no point in having a layout that trains won't run on, so some time was spent today on a grade flattening exercise both on the lower level and on the middle level big Meienreuss bridge.

Sigh. Better now than later, and reasonably easily adjusted with the foamboard. Today cost me a few cm in grade separation between levels, so as you might note from the attachments, the semi-banished right hand hidden spiral between the middle and top levels is back under investigation...




No comments: