Saturday, April 20, 2024

Shell Wassen

Today I had a crack at the petrol station alluded to in the previous post, and to my surprise had it glued down within two hours.

The real thing has a wooden upper floor on a concrete block lower, with an angled extension out front that I declined to model, out of both laziness and a lack of space.




For the top half I used some grossly overscale but decent looking faller card sheet, with an overlay of roof-slate-printed Faller card for the bottom concrete blocks. The black bits are for the big windows downstairs.
And overlaid:
The 'concrete block' bits were overpainted beforehand with a light grey so the detail would still show through, and the roof later painted darker, as these were made from the same card material. 
As usual, its all a bit hokey and out-of-square, but it looks OK from a distance.  The canopy sides were painted yellow and some red decal stripes added. I considered putting 'Shell' and Mattli' signs up, but I doubt they would want to be associated with such a crooked model.

Under the canopy are some white pieces of wire poked into the foamboard road and a few bits of plastic rod for petrol pumps. If I wasn't so lazy I would have put some red and yellow on them before sticking them down.

2 comments:

Semlan said...

Because your worth it.. or whatever the current logic demand;

https://www.1zu220-shop.de/Maerklin/Lokomotiven/Maerklin-88240-E-Lok-Re-6-6-SBB::143867.html?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR23PTI0nB7vrbeMriyuxPX6s5rwhjlQNYiitQhRUjCcSBBE7MXwMRB8IuI_aem_AXyIDIpb41SFTJBGrqZwgJZP5neGQWAeCuXhM1VXu4FQ4EJ9lH4pOsjQKmxkrYyt0Sjo_avTQNT_In-svFo3CR7A

:-)

darryl said...

Thanks! that is a good price. I contacted them but they do not ship outside Germany. i will order one or two soon.