Friday, July 20, 2018

Cleaning my slow and hot-running Marklin 88483

As mentioned previously, I have two Marklin 88483 'Class 152' locos that were turned into BLS 485 and 486 locos a while back. One runs pretty well, one is quite slow and runs very hot. Not ideal for double heading them....

The motor on the slow fellow seems to spin ok, but both the truck (bogie) innards are stiff to move, whereas on my other loco of the same model they run more freely.

So, fearing the dreaded HOS (hardened oil syndrome), I decided to take the trucks apart and wash them in some isopropyl alcohol (ironically, here in a wine cap).

 The gears, axles and wheelsets were disassembled and dunked for a while in the isoprop.
Then cleaned off, reassembled and lubed gently. There seemed to be a bit of old oil about before I started, but I didn't get the impression that it was obviously sticky or congealed.
And a test run.... Unfortunately my cleaning hasn't solved the warm/slow running. I might swap out the trucks with the other unit to prove it is the trucks that are causing the problems. Drat.

1 comment:

Carim Z said...

Have you checked whether the brushes are too tight on the split-ring commutator? If you flex them back a bit (be gentle) a few times, they should loosen up. This should help the slow running/heat problem.