Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Forest Planting on the Hills of Wassen

The hills are alive, with the sound of... trees.  For something different, I decided to plant a shipment of trees that I received recently.

The good news: they look good.


The bad news: I thought the additional 200 trees would be enough to do both hills, but after planting 150 on the North/Erstfeld/right end of the layout today (on top of the hundred I already have growing in the Meienreuss gorge) it looks like I could easily use an additional hundred or more for the South/Goschenen/left end hill.  


The winner so far for forest volume: Heki HK0309 1½"-3" ECONOMY UNFLOCKED PINE MINI-FOREST/100 PKG

At around $25USD for 100 trees (cheaper if you wait for a sale), that's a reasonable deal even with shipping to these far flung isles. En-masse, they look quite effective, with the more detailed guys in the foreground.

Other items in use from the recent order which are decent:
  • Heki HK1432 2"- 4¾" UNFLOCKED PINE SET/50 Trees - same style of tree as the bulk pack, but some taller ones, and less-good value than the 100 pack... and in Z who needs the additional height anyway... so I took an inch off the bottom of many of the tallest ones and used the offcuts as filler in the forest.
  • Heki HK0306 2"-3½" SMALL PINE MINI-FOREST/30 PKG - a lighter colour, flocked so reasonably nice, but a bit obviously "spiral-wound" when viewed up close. They look ok.
  • Busch BH6469  1½"-3½" FIR TREE SET/25 TREES - nice looking small/dark/well-detailed fellows
  • And I'm almost out of my previous JTT and Noch trees too, but have enough of the 'good' trees left that I'll probably only need to order one more of the 100-pack economy unflocked jobbies to add bulk to the South hill.
Less impressive:

HK0301 1½"- 3" PINES & DECIDUOUS FOREST/ 40 TREES Heki 'Ready-Made Mini-Forest!'  There are some weird, oddly coloured  and blobby looking folks in here. Not vert 'to-scale and not recommended for Z scale. I'll use what I can and hide the rest or put them in my scenery box.


No comments: