Saturday, November 9, 2019

Marklin's Re 4/4 - Improving the looks - 5 - Finito


Stock vs improved Marklin Z scale Re 4/4
A few small tasks completed this 4/4 project:

  • A small knob of white paint was slopped between the front windows on the UIC plug
  • The 'step/platform' protrusion (above the starboard buffer) on the front edge was painted gray to match the prototype (it was silver on the model)
  • Added the pantos of course - these looked to be sitting a tad low on the dry run, so they have been raised up further on some tiny rods of styrene
  • A dash more weathering was applied to the roof and pantos. As previously mentioned, the 4/4s are kept fairly clean so I decided not to weather the sides and front.

One small irk remains the front silver-edged windows, which on the model have square corners on the outboard side rather than curved like on the corners facing the middle. I suppose a little dollop of red might sort that out but there is a high probability of making a mess doing that. I suppose I should add the rear-view mirrors on the starboard corners too. Someday...


Is all this worth the effort given that the trains will typically be viewed from a distance? Hard to say. While the stock model looks pretty good, the revisions do improve it. The silver roof and scale pantographs do look good, but now the Z scale flextrack looks awful!

I will have to be very careful with those pantos - its easy to forget they are there when you can hardly see them.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks fantastic!
...but, I believe your raised panto should normally be the back one (so that if it becomes entangled it doesn't damage the spare on the way past).

Unknown said...

Hmmm. Looks like individually it is normally the rear panto, but when paired it is often the front panto on the lead and the rear panto on the 2nd loco. I guess the way you have it suits the way you intend to run these in pairs.
Either way those pantos look great.

Kiwibonds said...

Thanks for that - I'd forgotten that the back one was used for single-loco-running. I hope I still remember this when I do my Re 460...! Yes this one is intended to be run as a pair, but I suppose I could flip the shell around on the chassis for single use on a passenger or mail train.

Ant-One said...

Awesome!