Saturday, May 14, 2016

Testing... 1.2.3…

Now that I have some track welded up, I need some inclined roadbed to sit it on. 

I’ve decided to use foam board for my test as its easy to cut with a modelling knife, can be glued with PVA white/wood glue, and I happen to have some sexy black pieces on me.

I figured I’d test the tightest curve radius I have (170mm) because there is always more wheel-to-rail friction on a curve. I cut out a curved roadbed section and put some feet on it to give a 1cm rise in 30 cm of track. This is close to the prototype grade and I figured when this didn’t work I’d trim the legs under the grade until i got something that did work. 


You can see the temporary legs being added here, and in the background, completed strings of welded track.

The 12 wagon coal train was attached to a pair of Re 4/4s, power applied and... crikey, it works!


Jeepers these locos are noisy, and this train doesn’t roll that well, but the grade can be summited on half power. Ok! Concept proven, albeit this is about as long as the trains will be (although the wagons with the more modern Y25 bogies seem to roll more freely).

No comments: