Tuesday, October 18, 2016

An appointment with the soldering iron

Its a necessary evil, soldering.

I detest the welding of wires and would far prefer to be diving into the scenery, but without a few well-placed cables stuck to the rails, the trains don't move far.

My z-scaled paranoia has only made things more difficult by insisting on lots of feeders, jumpers and sections of 'continuously welded rail'.

So far I've got most of the existing track fed with wires, and by temporarily joining the correct ones together, was able to run a train down from the highest section of 'down' mainline, down through the various spirals and levels into the yard, around the bend and back uphill to the highest section of 'uphill' mainline.






As you can see its all splendid apart from those two points. The one at the left has had no issues until today but now the frog and point blades seems to have died. The one at right only played up for this video, but I hope its not a harbinger of bad things to come.

This is a bit of a bugger. They'll be hidden from the outside world, but I don't want to have to be nudging things along like this...

The are both Micro Trains monsters. I can't find any issues on the web but that might be because most Z scale modelers do so from the safety of their armchairs.



I have two options here.

1. Try to power the frog somehow (presumably via a slide switch/pushrod activator
2. Replace the problematic with a spare

If I do the latter, there is a weird internal spinney arrangement underneath that I might have a look at on the dead one to see if I can figure out how these work. I don't know why point makers don't just install a more reliable power-routing mechanism in the point throwing mechanism that powers the frog. Has anybody figured this out in any scale??


No comments: