Thursday, January 18, 2018

Being Articulate - sggrss 3

A splash of paint and the sggrss articulated flat will be ready to take on the world.... or at least the layout.

As with most of the Euro articulated stock there are may detail variations and plenty of paint schemes - gray, blue, red, brown, yellow, green, black to name a few I've googled recently.

I decided to make a dark gray one for no real reason other than its something different and the brighter colours tend to highlight the shortness of the 40 foot platforms and the droopy hanging sides which, as I mentioned earlier, look a little odd being offset inboard from where the containers sit.



So some grey was slopped on - as I mixed it to taste, I ended up with a few different shades, which I rather like. Many of these wagons seem to have sections with the numbers/data that get cleaned more often than the other bits, so there is often quite a bit of variation in the prototypes.

Yellow was applied to the tie-down-extension-pipes and to represent twistlocks. I should have used tiny squares of plastic for these since I put so much effort on those vertical strakes.  The containers had been weathered earlier and the wagon might get the same treatment at some stage.


And there you have it. It looks pretty decent and the 2x40 footer doesn't look as silly as I had feared. 

Soon enough I'll get the layout running again and we will see how well it runs!

No comments: