Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Good Vibrations

An Aside...

I happened to be in my mother's town dropping off some trash at the tip, and they had a dusty old am/fm tuner (in unknown condition) in the 'just arrived' bin.

The guy didn't know if it worked or not, but said I could have it plus the dusty amp with one missing knob and three floppy selectors and the pair of KEF speakers that it was with for $10. Seemed like a deal even if only one of the items worked.

I pulled the amp apart in the trainroom and managed to secure the knobs and switches in place (helpfully it came with a full set of cables and the missing knob along with a few miscellaneous spare parts that don't seem to belong...). I carefully scraped, brushed and vacuumed a load of stuck-on fluff and hair off the boards and components, got most of the congealed fluff off the front, hooked it up and carefully switched it all on...

It works! Great sound too. I wasn't paying much attention when the pieces were covered in dust at the tip, but they are Denon components, and that used to be a respected manufacturer way back when. Had a google on the model numbers, and found this is all from the early 90s, but was highly rated then and still sounds great... and quite loud on setting 6 out of 30...

I have since added a cheap bluetooth receiver through the Aux input so I can stream podcasts or music from my phone if I get bored with the radio.

The setup has few minor scratches and chips, but most aren't too visible from the front and it's a great addition to the trainroom environment. Best ten dollars I've ever spent!




No comments: