Tuesday, November 1, 2016

InterRegio - 1

As you may recall, I picked up an SBB passenger car set recently.

The set is a car or two short of what I would ideally like to see on the layout, although a single loco will probably struggle to pull more than four cars up the hill anyway, so that's moot...

Other than this, the main concerns with the cars are that:

  • they don't run that well 
  • they're in an older paint scheme

Hopefully that the former will be sorted out by my ongoing remedial trackwork tweaks and some adjustments to the unders - I have a feeling that the couplers are catching the buffers on sharp curves on at least one of the cars. Another car 'drags' a bit - as if a wheelset or two is rubbing on something.

The livery issue I'll tackle now - buoyed by the illusion of recent successes on the Habbiins wagons by the 51st Airborne Paint Application Corps.

So looking at the as-delivered models vs the real thing (as provided by the VGB Gotthard book), we can see that:


  • The grey panel should be white (as should the bottom half of the doors). 
  • That silly grille amidships should be removed (its on one side of the models only).
  • The red should extend laterally over a little more than the door 
  • The silver window frames stand out like dogs knobs.
  • The strip amidships along the windows is a dark grey here. It should be black, but I'm hoping I can get away with what's here
  • The white strip up top should be a little taller too (down to the windows) but again, I'm hoping I can get away with it as-is
  • The model in the above pic is a first class car and has a thin yellow line above the windows. This should be painted out and replaced with some yellow in the red door patches that are barely visible on the prototype pic here on the last two cars of the train 

Second class cars disassembled:
 Masked up (note that I have also masked a tiny rectangle to retain that red SBB logo:
 Some paint was then applied. I used Humbrol gloss white. It was a disaster. Enamel whites often are -all creamy-coloured and thin so that they don't really cover anything with white at all - merely a whitey smokey sticky transparent colour. After some internet research, it seems acrylic flat white is the only way to go, so I headed downtown to procure the Tamiya production of same. Lo and behold: success, with a nice crisp arctic white coat over the grey:
Successful it seemed. But either my masking wasn't thorough enough, or more likely the thin runny Humbrol gloss soup seeped underneath, but I was left with a bit of a mess to clean up with a little overflow around the windows and to a lesser extent the unders:

In the next report,  a 2$ paint set will be deployed to step back from this cliff of messiness.

No comments: