Tuesday, January 17, 2017

BLS Re 485 Connecting Europe - 2

Crikey. To think that this morning I was staring at a stripped Hoyer shell....

This evening I managed to get my ALPS printer and attached XP desktop ("take a step back in time...") plugged together and working for the first time in four years. It's made two international trips since it was last used but printed out the 'connecting europe' decal reasonably well on the second go. Appropriately enough, I used the 'Raleway' typeface from 1001 Free Fonts website. The 'bls cargo' decals were done previously on a laser printer during the habbiins silver box wagons saga.

USB plug for scale...
Compared to the prototype, the white Raleway lettering is 'close enough' but not quite perfect. I made this worse myself and only figured out why after I'd applied them: its been such a long time since I used Microsoft Word that I misunderstood one of the 'font' formatting options and ended up making the letters wider rather than the taller I was trying for but didn't notice what I'd done at the time.  A few other placements and sizes are a little off too, but it's not too bad unless you happen to be looking at the comparison picture that I have foolishly provided below.. 

Incidentally, this is one of the few shots I took with one of these leading a train. I have a feeling these locos are really light grey rather than silver, but in sun vs clouds they look quite different, and when I used light grey the whole thing looked a little flat, so I'm glad I went with the silver.

The loco number '006' decal on the front that you can't really see on the model pic was borrowed from an N scale 'Santa Fe repaints' set from Microscale.

No comments: