Sunday, January 1, 2017

Don't have a Cow Shed

Farm sheds (for storing feed, implements and providing shelter for animals in Winter I guess) are fairly common in the Wassen area's hills, so in the spirit of randomness that drives my modeling.... one might liven up the near edge of the layout as my first Z scale building project.

There are many styles of these things, but I particularly like this one which lives up above the 'big bridge'.


It has a nice tiled roof and walls made up of wooden slabs that interlock in the corners. The set of doors look like an alteration and I'm not sure how you get up into them (maybe you have to stand on a cow).

A start was made with a few bits of foam board cut to a random size that looked about right to provide a base. On top was perched some Ratio N scale slate roofing, cut to size and glued at the peak with some plasticard rod to cap it off.
While the roof was set aside to dry, I cut six 'long' and six 'short' lengths of stripwood. These happened to be HO 2x4s that were lying around and seemed close enough.
These were stacked in alternating lengths on the side walls, before the ends were done in a corresponding manner:

The doors were vertical strips of the same wood with some overscale hingey looking arrangement glued on top:

That looks just on this side of hideous, but just enough to be plastered with paint that will hopefully hide some of the imperfections.
Paint in this case from my $2 tray of kiddie acrylics from The Warehouse. Yellow+a little red, lightened with white for the tiles, dark gray (white plus black) washes for the sides and a little on the roof
Groovy Julia. I post this, it appears I forgot to add the lengthwise beam ends under the roof, but close enough for a first effort. These Preiser 1:220 cows seem a bit on the large size, but I guess we'll call that forced perspective...

No comments: